Friday, August 27, 2010
Character counts
Sydnee had to write a paragraph on character and what it means to her. We talked about what she thought it was and then we looked it up. It hit me so hard that one of my major jobs as a mother to these 4 is to teach them about character, and how important it is to have a good character. A quote that I loved:
"We sow our thoughts, and we reap our actions, we sow our actions, and we reap our habits, we sow our habits, and we reap our character, we sow our character and we reap our destiny." He then goes on to say " may we remember a soft answer turneth away wrath and strive through our relationships and encounters to shape a character that will meet with the saviors approval."
-Charles A. Hall
This hit me like a ton of bricks. The way I "answer" my children is helping to shape them into the people they will become. I was at lunch with a group of friends and we talked about how we as parents approach our children in different situations makes such a difference on how our children react to the situation. I really need to work on how I approach things with my kids. When they are all little it is easy to put a child in time out or put soap in a mouth for things that should not be said. The older my children get I realize how much my children try to mimic everything Guy and I do. They are like little sponges taking it all in. As a mother one my biggest desires in life is to raise these kiddos so that they have "good character." I need to try a little harder so I will meet my Saviors approval.
"Character is what you are when no one is looking."
-Abraham Lincoln
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Love this Shannon! Something I imagine that every mom who ever walked the earth needs to work on. The Abe Lincoln quote is my favorite!
i love you. you are amazing.
i just came back and reread this. thank you. i may visit this post regularly, or better yet, i could put in on my blog with a picture of you! ;)
Post a Comment