
Today my mom came over to show me how to can chicken and "teach" me how to make bread. She gave each of us girls a wheat grinder for Christmas a few years ago and taught us how to make bread then. Betty Crocker I am not, and so needless to say I have never even pulled out my wheat grinder since that day a few years ago. Lesson learned, you need to use your kitchen appliances so they don't get clogged up! Guy and I have really been trying to get our year supply all done, and he has been bugging me to use the wheat we are buying and make bread. So with a lot of bugging done by my husband I asked my mom to come over and re-teach me. It really is not hard, and I just need to keep it up. We also canned chicken. It was really easy, but it took a long time. Thanks mom for giving up your day. It was a lot of fun and my family was so excited to come home to homemade bread!
Warning: Major post overload below!
11 comments:
Wow Shannon that was a huge blog catchup! I enjoyed it though. It looks like you guys have been busy and having fun. I miss Az. but not the heat.How fun to learn how to do that with your mom. I recently have felt the pressure of getting food storage done and learning how to do stuff like that. I baked my first loaf of bread last week. I don't know why but bread scares me. I seem to always mess it up. I would love to learn how to can chicken. If it is not hard to explain could you email me the instructions? Have a fun Halloween, and I can't wait to see those pictures. Ali
Hi Shannon. I've been lurking on your blog for a while, so I figured I may as well leave a comment. It's crazy, the people you find on these things. Kinda scary at the same time, too. You have such a beautiful family. You look like a great mom. Where do you get all your energy? Seriously??
(I'm Tommy's wife, by the way.) :)
Now I know why you skipped the gym. So now you have to teach me how to can chicken and make bread, now that you are an expert. Anyway, loved the catch up.
I love that I'm not the only one trying to do a lot of catching up. Such a busy and fun time of year!! Hope Tanner is feeling better-probably a slice of that yummy home made bread would do the trick. Oh and all those pumpkins looked great. I can only imagine the mess that many pumpkins made! Have fun trick-or-treating!
That bread looks so good. I wish I lived closer to mom so she could come and teach me how to do those things! We are excited to see you guys this weekend!
wow, totally impressed! I'm really wanting to attempt the chicken canning in the next couple of weeks, I hope mine turns out as good. And the bread looks great, any good recipes to use the wheat with send my way!
Good for you! I just recently got a wheat grinder and have been making LOTS of bread and doing lots of canning as well! Tis the season I guess! I'm jealous of all the chicken you canned... wow! I've recently canned peaches and applesauce but chicken... I have yet to learn how! Loved all your posts... great catch up!
Fyi, the plumber pic gave me a good laugh... too cute!
Can I tell you I have NEVER made bread?? Ever! I love to cook and be in the kitchen, but for some reason, bread scares me. It might not be the actual process, it may be that I know once I learn I will make it daily and turn into a big soft loaf of bread myself:)
Way to go on the canning. That takes so much will. Awesome job!
Love all the updates! At least I get to see what you've been up to. I miss seeing you so much! We are due to get together soon. Steph and I missed you Halloween night. It wasn't the same!
Okay, I'm totally interested in the whole canning chicken thing. Honestly, I've never even heard of anyone doing it. You'll have to give me more info on that. Have I told you lately what an adorable family you have!?!?
WOW! Seriously I need to do something!I hadn't blogged either so it is nice for me to read and catch up!
Post a Comment