Friday, November 16, 2007

My Boys!

My kids do things all the time and I think to myself," I should write that down," and I never do. My kids say things all the time and I think the same thing and never write it down. Well yesterday I went visiting teaching and we were talking about kids and how challenging they can be at times, but yet what a blessing they truly are in our lives at the same time. My partner went on to tell us a story about how some friends of theirs just lost their 14 month old son. She said how he was their only son and they had tried really hard to get him here. He was such a sweet baby and he loved his mom so much. He wanted to be held alot and was up alot at night. Her husband kept telling her to let him cry, but she said she just couldn't he was so sweet. At his funeral she spoke and said how thankful she was that she didn't because she got that many more hours to spend with him during his short time here on earth. This really hit me and made me think. I have two of the sweetest boys. My relationship with my girls is completely different and I am so thankful that I get to experience both. My girls are much more out going and social, while both my boys like to stay close. Yesterday my sweet baby was sick. He had thrown up a few times and you could just tell that he did not feel good, but every time I smiled at him I got a sweet smile back and every time I would cuddle and kiss him he would sit there so content and just smile. He finally fell asleep just as it was time to pick my kids up from school, so I called my mom and asked her to come sit here with him so I didn't have to put him back in his car seat. She of course came so it gave me the opportunity to park my car and go up and meet Tanner rather than wait in the line like I usually do because it is too much work to get all the kids out of the car. Well when Tanner saw me standing there his face lit up and he waved and gave me the cutest smile. He ran up to me and gave me a hug and said, " I love it when you walk with me mom." It was no big deal but my heart was really full due to the story Allison had told me about her friends little boy. So I grabbed Tanners hand and walked with him to get Sydnee. I couldn't help but think how thankful I am for these sweet boys. I was so nervous to have boys. I was raised in a family of all girls and boys were so foreign to me. But wow, they are so much fun! This ended up being such a long post, but ten years from now I want to look back and remember how I felt yesterday, and how lucky I am to be a mom! Too often I get caught up in what I should be doing around the house, or all the other guilts I put upon myself, that I forget to stop and enjoy all the "little" things with my kids. We all need reminders to help us keep on track and be thankful for what we have. I don't always love my trials, but I am so thankful for the blessings I have, especially my four healthy children. Tanner and Crew at the hospital
Tanner at basketball camp( 5 years old)
Crew at 2 months old
Crew at 3 months old

Guy,Tanner and Crew

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Your boys are so sweet! I love Crews age right now, Everytime I look at him he is smiling and Tanner is such a sweet boy. You can tell that you are so close to him. I hope that I get the opportunity someday to have the mother/son relationship. You are such a good mom Shannon. Whenever I hear stories like Allisons, it makes me stop and re-evaluate my life. You never know how long we have to raise our children, we need to do the best we know how in the little time we have to influence them. Such a sweet post! Can't sleep! Too much on my mind!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. You are such a great mom and a example to me. Thanks for sharing such great things about your boys. They are so cute.

Susan said...

Wow Shannon what beautiful thoughts! I know what you mean about boys---it is such a incredible bond between moms and their sons. Wait until their 18 and 21 and they come tell you "love you mom" and give you hugs and kisses! You are a great mom, I'm so happy Brooke and Paige have such a sweet friend. Your boys are so cute too!

Christa said...

Isaac is only 7 months old, and I totally understand what you're saying. There's just something special. What sweet words. I love how excited Tanner was to see you waiting for him. You know my mother-in-law comments how she really focused on spending one-on-one quality time with her children individually. That must mean so much to kids, when they feel like they have mom's full attention. It's so easy to get caught up in the rush of life. We really do need to savor each moment. You made me want to be a better mom. Thank you. My heart goes out to your friend.

Shawni said...

Hey Shannon, I just linked onto your blog from someone else's...funny since I just saw you tonight! Just wanted to say hi and I LOVE that story. I always feel like I want so much to just sit and snuggle my kids all day long but I let life get in the way so much. And although it's crazy and hectic I know I'm going to miss this time SO much when they're all grown up. I completely agree...we are SO lucky to be moms. I can't stand it sometimes what a blessing that is. Anyway, thanks for your inspiring words.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

that is the sweetest post. thank you so much for sharing that. when dealing with everyday life, it is so easy to forget about what is really important. what a great reminder.

Brianne Skidmore said...

Thanks for the reminder. It's posts like that that make me keep writing. Your boys are lucky to have you.

Amy Y said...

I loved reading this, and I totally agree, there is something different about a mom and her boys. I love my boys too and mine are the opposite, a little louder than my girl but still so so sweet at the same time. You are lucky to have all you kids and they are all lucky to have you. Thanks for the sweet words.